D series for Autoclaved Medical Devices
Application: Catheters Undergoing Multiple Autoclave Cycles
A medical device manufacturer was looking for an alternative to standard high cost autoclave compatible connector offerings for a range of electrophysiology catheters used to map the electrical activity of the heart to detect arrhythmia. This minimally invasive procedure provides access through a small incision (typically in the groin area) feeding the disposable catheter through a blood vessel to the heart, allowing quicker patient recovery than traditional open heart methods. Due to the requirements for size, reliability, and sterilization, the customer required a connector with up to 25 contacts that was easy to use, reliable and could survive multiple autoclave cycles.
Solution: D Series
Smiths Interconnect’s D Series is designed to withstand up to 20 autoclave cycles. Utilizing a high strength polymer for both the plug and receptacle, the D Series is selectively loaded with up to 25 hyperboloid contacts, allowing conformity to most device requirements. The system side panel mount receptacle with Hypertac® sockets provides high mating cycle life (up to 100k cycles), while the cost effective male pin plug on the device side ensures reliability with minimal expense.
- Reliable: High cycle life on the system side increases the Mean Time Between Failures
- User Friendly: The simple push-button latching system ensures connectors stay dependably mated during the procedure; then unmated quickly and easily
- Robust: Available in high strength polymer for harsh environments and sterilization
- Economical: The standard 25 position D02 can be selectively loaded without custom components. The male plug provides a cost effective mate to the receptacle with high cycle life Hypertac® socket contacts
- Crimp and Poke Contacts: Eliminates the need to pre-tin, solder, and shrink boot during termination – reducing assembly costs and cost of ownership