Addressing an ongoing industry need to improve wafer test production efficiency and reduce overall cost of test, Smiths Interconnect announces today the launch of its Volta 200 Series Probe Head.
A departure from cantilever and more traditional vertical probe technologies, the Volta Series enables quicker test set-up time and on-line cleaning & maintenance while assuring impeccable site to site planarity. These benefits are a result of using spring probe contacts and a proprietary engineered housing material.
“The semiconductor packaging industry continues to evolve as demands increase for complex functional integration at the smallest possible form factor,” says Paul Harris, Sales & Marketing VP at Smiths Interconnect. “Our customers are challenged to reduce their cost of test and deliver products to market at an ever-increasing pace. This drives the growth of Wafer Level Package and Known Good Die testing. The Volta Series allows Smiths Interconnect to be a premier solution provider by offering a high performance, cost effective solution to those industry demands.”
Smiths Interconnect Volta Series Probe Head supports testing from 200 µm pitch and greater and provides additional benefits including:
- Extremely short signal path (≤ 3.80mm) enabling low and stable contact resistance, high current carrying capacity and longer life cycle.
- Proprietary engineered plastic and machined ceramic materials providing high site to site planarity.
- Ability to test at production, engineering development and failure analysis stages.
- Flexibility of testing sorted die on all sites simultaneously with the Volta Manual Actuator.
- Elimination of die cracking even after repetitive manual tests, enabling probe card bring-ups prior to the wafer availability.