The backplane connector has a spring-loaded mechanical transfer (MT) ferrule to ensure a secure MT-to-MT mating connection under extreme shock and vibration conditions.
- Increases volumetric density of 3U and 6U high-speed switch and payload VPX boards by integrating optical transceiver into plug-in connector.
- Intermateability with VITA 66.5-defined backplane connectors enables multiple sources and drives faster design cycles.
- Reduces optical interconnect SWaP with rugged MIL-STD qualified edge-mounted optical interconnects.
- Enables ultra-high bandwidth port bandwidth density of up to 700 Gbps full-duplex in a half-width slot.
- Simplifies VPX board assembly and rework by eliminating fiber pigtail on edge-mount transceiver.
- 4TRX (40G, full duplex)
- 12TX or 12RX (120G)
- 12TRX (120G, full duplex)
- 4TRX (100G, full duplex),
- 12TX or 12RX (300G), in development
- VPX single board computing
- C4ISR embedded systems
- AESA radars
- Ethernet switches, high BW communication link
The backplane connector is VITA 66.4 backplane cut-out compatible and includes springs to ensure a secure MT to MT mating connection under extreme shock and vibration conditions
The LightCONEX® optical backplane module connector consists of a connector shell and insert. The shell is designed to provide float for the insert in both the X- and Y-directions to enable alignment of the MT ferrule mating interfaces. The design complies with the ANSI/VITA 66.4 mating requirements with the MT ferrule displacement occurring within the backplane connector.
The main components of the backplane module connector are:
- Connector shells. Dedicated shells are available for VITA 67.3 apertures (modules types C, D, E, and F).
- Connector inserts. Different backplane connector shells are available to accommodate VITA 67.3 apertures. The main components of the insert are:
- Tab primary guiding feature
- MT ferrule(s) with alignment pin
- Optical cable (several options available)
Different backplane connector shells are available to accommodate VITA apertures:
Backplane connector shells for:
- Module Type F
- Module Type D
- Module Type C
- Module Type E
The LightCONEX backplane connectors inserts are available in three styles: